Learning Through Art: The Guggenheim Museum Collection
by Marilyn JS Goodman, Ed.D., with Natalie Lieberman
© 1999 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, New York
Distributed by Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
100 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011
“Complete with a felt-tip pen, this delightful and innovative activity book has been inspired by the 25-year-old Learning Through Art/The Guggenheim Museum Children's Program, which harnesses the arts to play a crucial role in helping children to learn to read and write.”
--Ingram (from Amazon.com editorial review)
Publications and Productions
El Arte y la escritura, EducAccion, special supplement to El Comercio (Quito, Ecuador), Augosto 2003, No. 139.
Bambini d’altrove - Immigration Stories: New York City Padova Project (Contributor.)
Comune di Padova (Italy), Assesorato alle Politiche Scholastiche. Video, 2000 and Book, 2002.
Relaciones entre los departmentos de educación y conservación. Commissioned by Foro BSCH. (Madrid, Spain). Revista de Museologia, 2000, 9, 1st cuatrimestre, 10 – 22. Excerpted and reprinted as Educar es la nueva mision de los museos contemporaneos, EducAccion, special supplement to El Comercio (Quito, Ecuador), Deciembre 2000, No. 107.
Aprendere con fotografia. Giornale di Brescia (Italy), October 2000.
Go Guggenheim! Executive Producer and Co-scriptwriter of a 6-minute school orientation videotape for The Sackler Center for Arts Education, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, 2000.
An Art of Pure Form: Selections from the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (with Juliet Sorce.) Family Guide for the New York State Museum, Albany, 2000.
1900: Art at the Crossroads (Editor). Curriculum Guide for New York City Schools. New York: Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, 2000. Honorable Mention, American Association of Museums (AAM) National Publications Competition, Education Division.
Bambini Fotografi (foreword). Milan, Italy: Centro di Ricerca e Archiavizione della Fotografia and Motta Editore S. P. A., 1998.
El Arte de Este Siglo (Editor.) Guide for Educators. Bilbao, Spain: Fundación Museo Guggenheim Bilbao, 1998.
China: 5000 Years (Editor.) Curriculum Guide for Educators, New York: Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, 1998. Winner 1st Prize, American Association of Museums Publications Competition, Education Division. For NYC schools and adopted for training at the Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA.
La educación en el nuevo museo Guggenheim de Bilbao. Revista de Museologia (Madrid, Spain) 1997, 12, October, 24 – 26.
Visual Arts Curriculum (Museum Education sections.) Worthington, OH: SRA McMillan McGraw Hill, 1996.
Hola Mexico! Executive Producer of a 15-minute videotape for Aprendiendo a traves del arte, Mexico City, 1996.
La Tradicion de la Nuevo: Obras Maestras de la Colección Guggenheim 1945 – 1990 (Editor.) Guide for Educators. Bilbao, Spain: Fundación Museo Guggenheim Bilbao, 1996.
Africa: Art of a Continent (Editor.) Curriculum Guide for Educators. New York: Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, 1996. For New York City schools and adopted for use in several Chicago, IL school districts.
Africa: Art of a Continent (Executive Producer and Co-scriptwriter.) Interactive touch-screen kiosk located within the galleries during the exhibition. New York: Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, 1996.
Los Museos Guggenheim y el Arte de Este Siglo (Editor.) Guide for Educators. Bilbao, Spain: Fundación Museo Guggenheim Bilbao, 1995.
Get to Know Your Kids! Executive Producer of 15-second television spot with Galvin, Siegel and Kemper Agency. Childrens Museum of Cincinnati (OH), 1995.
Numerous additional publications written and/or edited, and published by New York: Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, 1995 – 2000. Family Activity Guides, Mini-Guides, Educator Guides and newsletters. Others written and subsequently translated for the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (selected list):
• Torre Herida (GMB)
• Andy Warhol: Una Factoría (GMB)
• El Arte de las Motocicletas (GMB); Art of the Motorcycle (SRGM); reprinted by the Field Museum (Chicago, IL)
• China: 5000 Años (GMB); China: 5000 Years (SRGM)
• Abstraction in the 20th Century: Total Risk, Freedom and Discipline (SRGM)
• Surrealism: Two Private Eyes (SRGM)
• Francesco Clemente (GMB, SRGM)
• Robert Rauschenberg (GMB, SRGM)
• The Worlds of Nam June Paik (SRGM)
• Rendezvous: Selections from the Collections of the Centre Georges Pompidou and the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (SRGM)
Documenting Community. Executive Producer of a 27-minute videotape, and Editor of a curriculum guide for the New York City Public Schools, Brooklyn Children’s Museum, New York, 1993.
Numerous catalogue essays written and published by the Philadelphia Art Alliance (PA), 1983-1990 (selected list):
• Identities: Portraiture in Contemporary Photography
• Retablos: Masterpieces on Tin
• Alliance in the Park: Collaborative Works by Artists and Architects
• Howard Finster: Man of Visions
• Paint by Mr. Amos Ferguson
• Sculpture of the American Scene: 1930-1960
• Survey of Contemporary Philadelphia Painting
• Impact Images: Roy DeForest, Stevan Jennis, Jim Nutt, Al Souza
• Ira Joel Haber: A Retrospective 1969-1984
Art Critic. New Art Examiner, monthly art journal, Chicago, IL, 1984 –1988 (selected reviews of exhibitions):
• Anthony Petr Gorny, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1985.
• Robert Morris and Jannis Kounellis, Paul Cava Gallery, Philadephia, 1984.
• Tom Butter, Lawrence Oliver Gallery, Philadelphia, June 1984.
Viewpoint. Pennsylvania Arts Coalition News, September/October, vol. 1, no. 4, 1987.
Mitchell/Giurgola Architects. Catalog essay for The 1985 Hazlett Memorial Awards in the Visual Arts exhibition. Harrisburg, PA: Pennsylvania Council on the Arts and the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, 1985.
Contributing Writer and Art Critic. Art New England, monthly art journal, Boston, MA, 1981-83 (selected list of articles and reviews):
• Flemish Art and a New Wing: The Worcester Art Museum, 1983.
• Pratt Gallery: Amherst, June 1982, vol. 3, no. 7.
• Jane Schneider: Little Center Gallery, Dec. 1982, vol. 4, no. 1.
• Paperworks: Worcester Craft Center, March 1983, vol. 4, no. 4.
Contributing Feature Writer and Arts Critic, Worcester Magazine, Worcester, MA, 1980-83 (selected list of biweekly articles):
• Motherwell's Symbolic Language, Worcester Art Museum, Oct. 1983.
• Wreaths: Richard Yarde Honors His Heroes, Little Center Gallery, Worcester, March 1981.
• Prints of the City: Richard Estes Stark Vision, Little Center Gallery, Worcester, Nov. 1981.
• Class Pictures: Fifty Years of Brandt's Window on a Bygone Era, Worcester Art Museum, Sept. 1981.
• Dial A for Arts: How Thayer Tamed the Roaring Twenties, Worcester Art Museum, March 1981.
• Choosing the Process Over the Product, 1982. Reprinted in Gallery Notes, Memorial Art Gallery of the University of Rochester (NY), 1983; and Clark Now, alumni publication of Clark University (Worcester, MA) vol. 4, no. 6,1981.
Career Education: A Collaborative Approach. School Arts, February 1980, vol. 81, no. 6.
Opening Museum Doors (with Jeanne C. Pond). Art Teacher, Spring 1980, vol. 10, no. 2.
Wavelengths (Illustrator.) Self study guide for incarcerated youths. Boston, MA: ProjectCORE, Massachusetts Department of Special Education, 1977.
Baby Learns (Illustrator.) Handbook for teen mothers. Worcester: MA, Department of Child Study, Worcester Public Schools,1977.
Quickie Kangaroo's Ecology Workbook (Illustrator.) Paxton, MA: Innovative Learning International, 1971.